This is a great hearty meal for a winter sunday. Very much a 'chuck it in and walk away' scenario with bold flavours. This recipe serves two.
2 Lamb Shanks
1 tsp ginger
3 garlic cloves (or however many you prefer)
1/2 tsp chilli (add more if you want the heat)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 can tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
2 carrots, chunky sticks
1 tsp honey
300 ml water
Pre-heat your oven to 150 celcius.
1. Brown the shanks in oil in a casserole dish. Remove the lamb from the dish and pour off any excess fat, leaving around 1 tsp in the dish, add the roughly chopped or processed onion and fry gently until soft.
2. Mix together the ginger, garlic, chilli, cumin, coriander, pepper and paprika. Add half the mix to the onions and tip in the tomatoes.
3. Pop in the shanks and cover with 300ml of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 min.
4. Cover and put the dish in the oven for around 1.5 hrs.
5. Remove dish from oven and stir in the remaining spice mix and your chickpeas, carrot, honey and salt. Return to the oven for around 45 mins until the carrot is cooked and the meat is falling off the bone.
6. If your casserole is still watery add a handful of split red lentils and gently simmer for 10 min.
Serve it with couscous, mash or with some green veg and a chopped coriander garnish. So easy, so heartwarming and so delicious!